Tuesday, January 15, 2008

School is in session!

Praise God, we made it through our first day back. I am not saying that facetiously either. I really had thoughts that today would be at best the bare minimum.. maybe two or three subjects, and at the worst... well, it didn't bring up any pretty images in my head.

We started off with one subject and it went smoothly, and the children seemed raring to go, so we jumped into the next. So far so good. Next subject we tackled with the greatest of ease, then the next. By the time we had lunch, we had about 4 subjects done. After lunch things got a little more scattered, but by the time we had supper all school work and chores were done, some free time activities partaken of, and even some piano practice for a couple of the children.

Well now!

Dh did come home around lunchtime and he was a great help. He was like SuperHomeschoolDad as he made his way around the table helping with Elizabeth's math, Josiah's English, and putting a bandaid on Caleb's booboo. He also changed an ewwwie diaper that would have made a lesser man don a hazmat suit and gas mask.

Something else I did today: I did a little cross stitch. Okay, I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, and you may be saying "So what?" but for me it was something that I had been wanting to do but hadn't yet. In fact, I hadn't touched this project I am working on (a Paula Vaughan pattern) since... ummm.. was it June? It had been a while to say the least.

I also had a pleasant chat via IM with my mom, you know the Hot Chocolate Gestapo. I give her a lot of ribbing (and believe me she can give it back!) but I love her to pieces.

What is the point of all this? Though my heart still aches, and I still cry, I am finding more of the "new normal" for us, little by little.

So, tomorrow, we try for a full day of flying solo. < gulp >

No comments: