Friday, January 4, 2008

Out of the mouth of babes

You never know what they are going to say. Sometimes it is funny, sometimes it is nonsensical, sometimes it is what we would deem "inappropriate" and we want to crawl under a rock (like pointing at Grandpa and saying "you have a BIG tummy!), sometimes it is sweet.

My dh was talking with the kids about movies that humanize animals. You know, they talk, they have cognetive reasoning, they interact with humans in speech.. that sort of thing. And he was saying how these movies give a false impression of animals being equal with us, and how we need to remember that it isn't real, etc. One of my daughters looked at Daddy and said:

"But Eve talked with the serpent. Wasn't he real?"

Okay, I have to admit that I chuckled at the look on my dh's face. I think that was about the last thing he expected her to say. I didn't catch what he said to her because I was snickering in the corner.

This was from Esther, the same daughter who a while back outsmarted me in a game. We were playing a game to see who could be quietest the longest. No laughing, snorting, whispering, etc. I was sitting out a round, and I used my big bad Mama voice and asked if she made her bed that morning. She nodded her head. I said "Now Esther, you know the rules. You have to answer me .. 'Yes Ma'am, or No ma'am' . Esther was trying hard not to giggle. I look at her sternly as I can and say, still in my big bad Mama voice "Esther, answer me, or I'll have to discipline you". So, this sweetie with the big blue eyes looks at me with a sparkle and in ASL says "yes mama". Isn't she clever?

No comments: