Sunday, March 11, 2012

Something Special



We are planning our Missions Conference for the end of April. I usually make up a "Welcome Basket" for the missionary family that we are hosting, and I still plan to do that. But this year I want to make something special for the missionary's wife. You know, I think that the wife is under appreciated many times. It isn't easy to live life from a suitcase, travelling for hours and hours, putting up with all the inconveniences of living life on the road. If there are children involved, that makes it even more challenging. I have been told many times by visiting missionaries that they really feel more comfortable around other families with children. You see, when couples without any children living at home house a family with small children, there is extra pressure on the parents to keep those kids in line. They know the child free couple may not know, or remember what it was like to have children who are over tired from travelling, or up too late or early, or overstimulated from meeting lots of new people. I'm not saying that is the case in every such situation, but let's face it. For a family like us, who still have young children, it is no big deal to witness a melt down at the table, or temper tantrum from having a very long day in the car, and then facing an evening service. Honestly, when this happens with a visiting family, I'm just glad that for once it isn't one of my children! :P

I got to thinking about the wife. What a job she has! Especially if she is homeschooling on the fly with the children. The women I've met have put me to shame with their gift for organization, self-discipline, and flexibility. I like to go on vacation, but I wouldn't want to live out of a suitcase, and in the van for 8 to 16 hours on many days of the year. Not only does she have to deal with that, but while her husband is preaching a service, she is on her own with "pew training", which isn't easy. I don't imagine it is always hard, or difficult, but I believe that living the life of a missionary family on deputation has many challenges that you or I wouldn't have in our regular, structured, everyday life.

So, I got to thinking. What can I make for this special lady that will be in our home for a few days with her family? I brain stormed. I browsed for hours on Ravelry. I have some limitations, such as time, ability, and finances. Also, I figured since the family is still on deputation, making something large and bulky was a very impracticable idea. Something else I considered was their ultimate destination, which is a warm climate. So, a nice warm scarf, mittens, gloves, or cowl didn't seem wise either.

I finally settled on a small jewelry sachet made from a luxury yarn. It would only take a small amount, and I could fit that into the budget. I am hoping that it will go well, and I'll have it done in plenty of time.

I am using a the pattern from one of my books, "101 Small Indulgences; Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders". I needed some US size 4 straight needles, and I got a set of Brittany hardwood birch needles. I love the shape of the end of the needles, and they are made of sustainable wood. So yeah, they are "green".

The yarn is Canopy Fruits of the Forest, colorway is "Dragonfruit". It is fingering weight yarn. I am somehow drifted into another fingering weight yarn project! I seem to gravitate towards those. The yarn is 50% Alpaca, 30% Merino, and 20% Viscose Bamboo. You can't tell from the picture, but this yarn is lovely to the touch.

This afternoon Josiah volunteered (A.K.A... was DRAFTED) to help me wind the skein into a ball, and I'm all set to start a swatch to check for gauge.

But right now, I need a nap. I went to bed later than I intended after a busy day out with the girls, and the time change didn't help me feel any perkier this morning. I'm off to take advantage of a lazy afternoon on this day of rest.

No comments: