Thursday, March 8, 2012

An Afternoon Outside




We definitely got a taste of spring yesterday! I took opportunity to hang laundry, as I had planned. Isaac had fun running in and out of it. That was fine until he got dirty playing in the dirt pile at the back of our property.





I brought out a bag with some goodies on it. Isaac and I were sitting on the sling swing for a bit watching the big kids play football in our yard. In this bag I have knitting, my camera, a small notebook for writing in if inspiration hits, and my sweater, which I didn't really need. I really didn't need my knitting either, as I ended up doing some yard work. Who can sit still on such a beautiful day?





Kids were involved in all kinds of activities. Jerusha was running around and playing "House" in her usual spot. I caught sight of her on one of her foraging excursions.



I was working with the wheel barrel, and Isaac "helped". The big kids and some of the neighbor kids played foot ball. Elizabeth chose to just hang around.



After a while we decided to go for a walk. Isaac was wearing down from all the running around in the yard, so he was glad to ride in the stroller. We saw several people out walking their dogs, birds, squirrels, and these weird things:



They come off a tree, but I don't know if it is indigenous to our area or not. I only see them on this one property with that certain tree. I haven't noticed them anywhere else either on the ridge or in the valley. If you know what they are called, please tell me! The seeds shake inside of them like a rattle. That amused Isaac, but Caleb and Jerusha wanted to plant the seeds.





We made it down to the farm with the cows, and I noticed it was starting to get cooler out, so I took my sweater out. Why is it I can't be outside for more than 10 seconds without snagging burrs?




So, there was our fun afternoon outside. When we got in certain children needed to wash up well, change clothes, and then we crashed for a while. I think the fresh air wore everyone out!

Today is rainy and gray. A good day for staying in and working on a quilt, which is what I intend to do.

No comments: