Monday, March 15, 2010

My First Knitted Wool Soaker

I admit it took me longer to do than I first anticipated, but honestly, I learned a lot. There were a lot of "firsts" for me in this pattern. I am doing a second one, and I can see it is going to work up much more quickly.

This was my first attempt at knitting in the round. My first time using double pointed needles. I found that awkward at first, but am way more comfortable now. It was also the first time I have ever used short rows. Actually, it was the first time I ever even HEARD of short rows. It was also the first time I ever grafted a seam, also known as the Kitchener's Stitch. What grafting and the kitchen have in common I don't know. If it was called the grouting stitch, or even drafty stitch, I might understand, but it's not, so never mind. Anyway, grafting the seam is not like just sewing up a seam. You actually stitch it in such a way, almost like weaving, and the "seam" basically becomes part of the whole, invisible, and perfectly flat. It is neat and tidy, undetectable, and I'll definitely be using it again.

The second one I am sizing up a bit as Isaac has plenty diaper covers he can wear right now.

Here is my first soaker!

No comments: