Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pantry Busting



"Use it up
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or do without."

Don't you just love that old New England saying? It is the epitome of frugality.

This month, or however long I can make it last, I am going to try and use up what is in our freezers and pantry areas. I got the inspiration from Abbi's blog, Proverbs 31 Living.

Also, something else I want to use as much as possible is my remnant and scrap fabric for as many sewing and quilting projects as I can squeeze them into. Okay, except for the one I am working on now. I don't know if that counts as I bought all the fabric a couple weeks ago at JoAnn's and a quilting store near here when everything was on sale. :)

There are a few things we will need to replenish, but for the most part, I think we can do at least a month, if not more, of meals from our pantry. I figure by the time spring comes, there will plenty room in our freezers for garden produce later in the summer. My goal is to get one of those chest freezers emptied and shut off for at least a few months.

I have an advantage that most of you probably don't. One of the gentlemen in our church volunteers at a food pantry and always brings us a box of goodies. Usually most of it is some sort of greens, weird veggies, or outdated milk that is okay to use, but you have to be careful. Sometimes there are things that I have NO clue what to do with them and either I am successful in finding something to make that will appeal to the masses here at the Hive, or it gets recycled into garden fodder.

Tonight we had scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach in it, and English muffins. All of it, including the milk that went into making the scrambled eggs, were given to us today.

Anyone care to join me?

No comments: