Saturday, April 25, 2009

We Are NOT the Duggars, Thankyouverymuch

Today, as promised by the forecast, it was very hot, especially for April. It hit about 90 here at the house, and 94 downtown. At least the humidity wasn't too high, which helped. But it was hot! It felt more like July than April. Maybe this means July will be cooler than normal.

We left the house today after a late lunch to go shopping for shoes for the kids. Amazing how they grow and before you know it toes are getting pinched in sneaker and church shoes. We would have gone in the morning, but Dale goes out on visitation with one of the older kids then. That's fine with me, as the rest of us use that time to do some weekly cleaning and laundry. Since today was so warm, we stripped beds and washed all the sheets and pillowcases, and I did some more of our winter blankets and quilts. Stuff dried quickly, and just before we left I hung some clothes out, after all the bedding was dried and down.

First thing we noticed was that the AC in the new (to us) van wasn't working. Of course not. Why would it in 90 weather? I admit I had a less than sweet attitude about that, but Dale assured me that we would have it fixed before the hot weather was here to stay. I am way less tolerant of the hot weather than I was when we first got married. I don't know if it is due to so many pregnancies, or just getting older, or what. Either way, hot weather really bothers me now. Not just cranky, but I get extra tired, and even nauseous sometimes. Anyway, with the van rolling along it wasn't too bad though there was no way to hold a conversation with all the open window noise.

Our first stop when shoe shopping for the kids is always the thrift store. The only thing better would be yard saling, but the couple yard sales we saw didn't have much in the way of clothing, and looked mostly like glass wares and old furniture, or old books and LP's. If it was me, I would have stopped anyway, just because I love yard saling, but we were on a mission, and Dale helped me to keep focused on that.

We did pretty well in the thrift store. We bought several pairs of shoes, a shirt for the girls, and I got a cute little bag to put the portable CD player in for when I go for a walk. I have discovered the pockets in my skirts aren't bit enough to fit the player in. I can sling this case over my shoulder with the player in and my headphones on, and walk and listen to some music or a book on CD. By the way, not to show my age, but I still call those contraptions "Walkmans" even if they are an Ipod (okay, that is heretical, but there it is!) or CD player.

Here is a pic of all the goods (the total for just the shoes was only $14.40. With everything it was around $18 or so if I remember correctly.)





We didn't find church shoes for Benjamin or Jerusha so off to Wallyworld we pedalled. I fed Isaac while everyone but Esther went in. She stayed behind in the van with me while I finished feeding the baby and then we three went in together. I had to get a couple personal items then met Dale in the shoe department. He found some church shoes, but there wasn't anything in Jerusha's size for church, if you can believe that. While we were there we got some gardening seeds, and some bike helmets for me and the older three kids as we will be doing some road riding this summer. The youngers still just ride around on the property for now. I also got some Gladiola bulbs to put in the memorial garden this year, and a little herbal planter set. All on clearance, of course. For some reason I have wanted to do the window ledge herbal thing so, here is my start!





The last stop we made was to a Payless Shoe store across the parking lot from Walmart. I found shoes for Jerusha finally, and grumbled at paying "that" price for them, but it couldn't be helped this time. Next time she can go barefoot. Pffft.

While we were waiting in line Dh came in to give me his credit card (I left my purse at home) and the lady in front of us, a young gal in her mid twenties probably, was complimenting us on how pretty our girls were. Well, that was very nice, but you should have seen her face when I told her I had 4 boys out in the van, which is where dh was headed with the girls to get them seated while I paid for the purchase. The gal was so funny. She was going on and on about how she had this party to go to tonight and how she didn't have enough time to go home because she had her toes done (it was a nice pedicure, I have to say) so she had had to purchase the outfit she was wearing to get to the party on time. It was either a surprise party for her brother in law, or a bridal shower... I can't figure out which as she mentioned both of them in one breath. I missed the information as I was wondering what it was like to cram your day full of pedicures and "oh I need something to wear to the party tonight" instead of shoes for kids, laundry, and ironing. She looked very nice, I assured her, and complimented her cute shoes.

Anyway, when I mentioned the four boys out in the van she said "Oh wow! You are, like, just like, the Duggars!"

I'm like... what??? You're kidding? They have more than double the amount of kids that we have. They have grandchildren. Do I look old enough to have a grandchild? Then this sweet young thang said "Oh I just have to give you a hug". Talk about friendly. Here she is, dressed to the hilt, all stylish, clean, tan giving me, in my old jean culottes and old nursing shirt ,with spit up all over it, my hair a mess from driving in the open-windowed van, and all hot and sweaty... some people get what they deserve. LOL. Anyway, she went on and on and my dh said that when she came out she walked by our van and said "See, this is JUST like the Duggars!"

Why is that if you have more than 2.8 children it is considered a big family? And if you have more than 4 then you are "just like the Duggars"? When I was pregnant with the twins many people made reference to us in conjunction with that family.. the McCaughey's (?) that had septuplets that year.

We are not the Duggars.
We are not the McCaugheys.
We are not in competition with anyone.
We are who we are, and it is what it is. We are content where the Lord has us, whether we have more children or not. We are the average joe parents, just trying to raise our family, and loving, enjoying, teaching our children.

Today was one of those fun days... spending some time out and about together. Well, except for the AC not working in the van. ;) It was also a hot day, and I am glad the sun has set and the air is cooling off in the house. It was a busy day, and I am glad children are bedded, and I can get Isaac a nitey nite feeding, and then get a shower and relax and go to sleep.

Look at those thighs! Poor anemic, spindly little thang!



Speaking of which... duty calls! Blessings from our home to yours.

No comments: