Friday, April 17, 2009

Hair Fun

I love to play with long hair. That is something I have missed with my hair when I donated to Locks of Love a year ago. It is growing out some, but I keep getting it trimmed so it is only about a couple inches below my shoulders now, with layers. Ah well, thankfully I have three daughters, and the twins' hair is way down to their waists, so I enjoy experimenting with their hair, much to their chagrin. Jerusha's hair is getting pretty long, but four year olds are much less tolerant of the fussing around with hair than the almost 11 year olds. Of course, by the time I finish with all three girls, I don't have much time to do a fancy hair-do on me, so maybe the shoulder length, wash and wear style is best for me right now!

Here are some pics of the "Do'" we've been enjoying. They aren't as elaborate as they look. It is really amazing what you can do when you master some of the basics of braiding.

Elizabeth is wearing her hair in two simple french braids. I love this style because it holds the hair neatly, and prettily back from the face. A tiny little bit of spray gel holds the fly away strands well enough.



Here is what is called a "cameo bun" I believe. I pulled the top half of Elizabeth's hair into a bun, then braided the remainder underneath and pinned it around the bun.


Esther's hair is pulled back into a flipped pony tail here, braided the tail, then clipped it up into a little updo. This was wicked quick and easy, and turns out very nice, as you can see.


This is a two tiered braid, featured in the Anne of Greene Gables movie. Again, very easy, quick, and fun to do.


Jerusha's hair is always more interesting to do because she is four, squirmy, and has slippery, fine hair. This is just a simple french ponytail.


Hair styling is easier when the hair hasn't been washed for about 24 hours. The natural oils and stuff in the hair make it easier to braid and style. When it is just washed, there is no immediate oils, and the hair is slippery and won't hold the style well. Myself, and the girls, wash our hair about 3 times a week. We could probably get away with less, but that is good enough for now.

Happy styling!

No comments: