Thursday, April 3, 2008

What Was I Thinking?

I get these bursts of energy and push to get a bunch of stuff done. Then my mind goes into a planning stage... what I want to do for spring cleaning, how I want to clean out and organize all the kids clothes ,what to order for school next term, what music we all need to be practicing, and what is on the sewing lists.

Do you notice what all of those things have in common? None of them are small projects. They are all pretty big and involved. All the "doing" serves a couple of purposes. One is to get things organized and cleaned, obviously. Another is, to occupy my mind with something that takes brain work, but not too much brain work. Just enough to keep my mind busy.

Today I went digging through some of my patterns for the girls. I noticed that they have been growing, and will be needing church dresses in the somewhat near future. One set I think will fit them for a while yet. However, it is my custom to make them all matching dresses at least once a year. I haven't even felt like thinking about sewing, to tell you the truth, except to maybe do a quilt block here or there but even that has been infrequent. The thought of digging out pattern, orchestrating fabric selections, and cutting it all out and then finally sewing it all up... well, that is overwhelming to me right now. However, necessity is beginning to get the upper hand. I figured that as with the music, maybe the same thing will happen with the sewing. Maybe if I just jump in and start, I will find the enjoyment I experienced previously.

So, I gave the twins some choices of patterns. I already picked one out for Jerusha. At her age, I reserve the right to still make that choice for her. Well, my sweet twins picked out a nice pattern, but I groaned and rolled my eyes. OH NO! Pinafore dresses. Great, just great. I swore last year when I struggled getting a set done that I wouldn't do them again. Well, I put the pattern in there thinking that with the other choices there was a good chance they wouldn't pick it. Wrong! I should have known better. The dresses are cute, but it was one of those moments when I wish I could take back my "you pick and and I'll make it" statement. At least whatever I make for myself will be in matching fabric but simple and classy.

I had another headache today, again generating from my sinuses. I was able to take a nap in the afternoon and that seemed to help a great deal. I didn't get all my goals done today. I was planning on using some time after supper for catching up a bit but Dale summarily dismissed me to relax and put my feet up for fear of me overdoing things. Thankfully he has more wisdom than I do in this matter. When I get going I just go until I have a major break down or something. Dale reminds me to pace myself and to remember I still am not up to 100% yet, and I shouldn't expect to be for a while.

School was back to the normal agenda of things. We all got in music practice for a while. That was good. A good example of me going all out would be the fact that I practiced piano, flute, and violin today. I seem to have inherited the "All-or-Nothing" gene.

Something I have been doing everynight is writing in my journal my goals for the next day. I try to limit it to no more than three per day, so they are goals I can easily make, and if I don't, it is okay too. That helps me pace myself. For example, tomorrow my goals are: 1.) Finish the ironing 2.)Cut out a jumper for Jerusha 3.)Clean the bathrooms and vacuum the floor.

Okay, so I snuck in two things in that last one. Supper tomorrow night is sloppy joes on homemade whole wheat bread, spinach salad, and green beans.

No comments: