Saturday, April 5, 2008

What Was I Thinking? Part 2

Yesterday and today were more very busy days. We pushed to get some cleaning done yesterday, along with some extra baking, and then there was the usual laundry, schoolwork, chores, cooking, etc. I also cut out and started working on a jumper for Jerusha. All the cleaning and extra baking was because today we were planning on a family outing to run errands.

Dale and a business meeting over at church this morning, then we went out after lunch, first to a thrift store. We were in hot pursuit of some much needed church shoes for several of the children, and a couple pairs of sneakers. We also let the girls each get a dollie dress, and the boys each a straw cowboy hat. They were thrilled with their little treats. I tried to find some suit coats for the boys, but that was a total flop. Oh well.. had to look while we were there. We then went to Walmart's and that is where the "what was I thinking part 2" comes into play. The girls and I found some fabric we fell in love with for our matching dresses. I also allowed Esther to pick out some fabric for her next sewing project...a jumper for everyday wear. The pile of fabric that we were to take home and sew up made the lady cutting it out drop her jaw. She then gave me the understatement of the year: "You seem to have quite a sewing project to do!". No kidding lady, you don't know the half of it.

The fabric I got for my skirt and blouse aren't exactly the same as the fabric for the girls' dresses, but it is the same color family with some of the same colors. As soon as I finish Jerusha's jumper I will start on our matching outfits. Lord willing I will have them done before anyone outgrows them! I will post pics when they are all done too. :)

Esther and Elizabeth will be starting their new sewing projects-- jumpers. They will be doing most of the work, but with Mama tutoring them every step of the way. I think they will enjoy making something pretty for themselves. It will mean a lot of hands on time for me, while helping them, but I know it will pay off later.

In case you are keeping tally, on our sewing list for this spring/summer:
Matching church outfits for us ( two pinafore dresses, 1 heirloom type dress, and skirt and blouse); two everyday jumpers for the twins, one jumper for Jerusha, and a short sleeved dressy summer jacket to match a dress I made last summer that I never got around to. That doesn't include slips, or bloomers.

Thank the Lord I cleaned and oiled my machine last night!

After we got home I went over to church to make friends with the piano again and do the florals. I spent much longer than I had intended, but the practicing was going well, and I was actually enjoying myself. No distractions, just time to relax and play and have fun. Doing the florals took longer than I had thought, but it got done and looked pretty decent, if I do say so myself.

So tomorrow morning I will start again as church pianist. Another day, another step. I think the missions conference was the catalyst for me in getting back into doing some music. Whatever the reason, the time feels right again for it.

It was a little hard today as we had to drive past the cemetery twice where Aaron is buried. As we drove by I got a lump in my throat so that I couldn't talk, my eyes welled with tears, and that terrible pull at my heart. It amazes me how such a little soul, with us for such a short time can leave such emptiness in me, and such an indelible print on my heart.

No comments: