Monday, June 9, 2008

17 Years of Marital Bliss

There is a saying that there is no such thing as a perfect marriage. Where did that come from? I beg to differ.

I was thinking about this yesterday (our 17th anniversary) and wondered WHY can't we say we have a perfect marriage? To be honest, there is nothing in our marriage that I would want to change, unless it is the natural growth of spirit and maturity that only time can produce.

That aside, I have to say, the Lord has blessed me with a wonderful, godly man, who loves our children, is a wonderful daddy, and a terrific husband. I cannot think of a thing that I would change, really!

I am not saying that he is perfect, or I am perfect, or that we have "arrived" in anyway. I am saying that the journey we are travelling together has been a blessing, even in hard times. I believe wherein lies our imperfections, God's perfection has shown through.

That is why I question the saying that "no marriage is perfect". God put us together. God is perfect, is He not? Our marriage is not perfect because of us, but because of Him, in His wisdom, mercy, grace. I do not say our marriage is perfect as boasting, for in this day and age where divorce is rampant, and families falling apart left and right, I am extremely grateful for how the Lord has worked in our lives.

The past 17 years hasn't been without our patches of growth, of bumpy waters, and troubled times. But those situations have brought us closer to each other and God. When I say we have a perfect marriage, I am saying that God has matched us perfectly to each other.

17 years and counting... it just gets "gooder and gooder"!

No comments: