Monday, February 4, 2008

Tape Rage

You've heard of Road Rage. I experienced tape rage today.

Let me back up a bit... Saturday was good day. My friend Lori came over around 11am, armed with her sewing stuff and a crock pot full of beef stew that smelled sooooo good. We spent the day sewing. I worked diligently on one of my complicated quilt block, and she did the complete top to a baby/toddler quilt. After my eyes started crossing from matching up those TINY pieces, we did some handwork until supper time. Her dh came over for supper too.

Sunday was a disaster from the moment I woke up. I never even got dressed the whole day, and just cried and cried. At night I was so restless that I couldn't fall asleep until well after 3am, which has left me predictably cranky and irritable and tired today.

Today has been somewhat of a repeat of yesterday with some boohoo sessions, one particualy long and hard one after I put the littles down for a nap.

Okay... it has been one problem after another here. First, the phones are crackly whenever we talk on them. The phone company was here this morning, and after they "fixed" the problem, it seemed the phones were fine.. until they pulled out of the driveway.

The dryer is making a squeeling noise that is uncurling my hair. If you have straight hair, then it would probably curl it. Dh assures me it is just the bearings need to be oiled.

Then the laser printer started acting up. The ink cartridge is starting to run out so I get that swath of unprinted material in the middle of the page. Well, I needed that stuff in the middle of the page so I tried using our color printer, and then the paper jammed in it. Then it wouldn't print. So I rebooted the puter and the printer and tried again. After the printer "rested" and finally realized "Hey dude,we have something to print here" I spat out the one page I needed, after almost 30 minutes of finagling.

So, I was splicing together the spelling/vocabularly list for today, using scotch tape. No problem, right? How hard can that be? It went something like this:

First Attempt: Yank desired length, and attempt to get off the blade, that is duller than a spoon. The tape stretches and grooves are made where the teeth are, but other than that, it doesn't cut. I yank harder, and about 4 more inches of tape comes off the roll, and it finally cuts. However, due to the extra length it folds over onto itself. I try to unstick it (heaven forbid we waste .002cents worth of cheap, Dollar Store brand tape) but end up tossing the it on the table.

Second Attempt: Pretty much a repeat of the above except the tape sticks to my fingers instead of landing on the table when I try to throw it down in disgust.

Third attempt: I yank out the desired length, then am able to cut through it with the dull blade on the first try. The tape snags on itself AND my fingers.

Fourth Attempt: Repeat of first attempt, minus any good humor.

Fifth attempt: I hurl the tape dispenser against the wall. It shatters. I sweep up the mess.

Sixth attempt: I get another roll of tape ( a better brand this time) with a sharper blade on it. I successfully splice the list together, and breathe a sigh of relief.

After naps this afternoon, Jerusha asked about watching a tape. So, I put in a DVD and guess what... yup. Couldn't get it to work. Or the VCR. UGH! Not to be sarcastic, but I am somewhat surprised that the puter is even working at this point. This is the kind of day I just want to stay in bed!

No comments: