Monday, February 25, 2008

Back to the Ol' Grind and more Roadtrip Review

Whew! Do you ever get to the end of the day and you feel like your brain can't take any more thinking, organiziing, plotting or planning, orchestrating activities, or concentrate on anything? Well, that is what I felt like by lunchtime today. Monday mornings are usually a busy "organizing" time for me. I do up the week's spelling lists, memory verses and try to organize at least a few days of whatever we are doing for unit studies (this week is Thomas Edison and spiders), and I do up the week's menu, and shopping lists. Thankfully the menus and consequence shopping lists were completed Saturday. Even so, jumping back into a full schedule of home education, and chores, and child training, plus whatever else gets thrown in is quite taxing on the brain, especially after a vacation! I have trouble concentrating as it is. I feel like since Aaron died I have the attention span of a gnat, at best. It is a pretty sad testimony to my focus abilities when a child is standing right in front of me, looking me in the eye, and saying something, in english, no less, and I still have to ask them to repeat it. And if more than one starts in.. forget it! Nothing doing! They might as well be speaking greek, for all I understand. Thankfully, Dale is on lay off this week, so he can fill in the gaps. Overall though, the day went well enough. We never did get to Home Ec or music practice. I was laying down this afternoon with a sinus that decided to masquerade as an ice pick being stuck into the right side of my face.

Roadtrip Review: Multigenerational Outings.

I wasn't going to do this category until later in the week, but I decided to do it tonight. One reason is that I am short on time tonight. The other is I wanted to put to rest some family rumors that may or may not be going around right now. :)

One outing we had with four generations of us was a trip to Barnes and Nobles. Yes, Shellee, I got some cappaccino... neener neener neener! We got there right before they had their children's reading hour. But did ours get in the circle and listen to the nice lady reading the books? Oh no. Our two youngest were playing with the Thomas the Train set (no surprise to their parents, by the way) and the others were draped in the aisles reading sundry books from the shelves. I discovered something while there observing all of this. Now, I may be wrong, but it seemed to me there was at least one other home schooling family there. Their children and mine were droooling and picking over some books that could be classified as "living books". Others were looking at books like "Goosebumps" or whatever that series is called. Now, I didn't go through the kids section taking a poll or anything, but that was what I observed while sipping my large white mocha cappuccino (which, I was generous enough to share half with my sweet dh! ). Great-grandmother generously offered to buy each of the children a book (well, Jerusha got a puzzle), and they were thrilled. It is good to see children regard books as the treasure they are in this age of electronic games and gadgets that permeate our lives.

Another multigeneration but single-gendered outing was with my grandmother, mother and me. We went out for a girly date. No children allowed. We went and got our hair done and then went to the Christmas Tree shop. It was HUGE! I want one near me! So many good deals and nice merchandise. Oh well... maybe we can go back out there this summer and I can do some Christmas shopping. Oh, in case anyone doesn't know, the Christmas Tree Shop carries all manner of goods... food, kitchenware, house wares, toys, books, puzzles, hair stuff, bedding, small furniture, pictures, clocks, you name it. It is hit or miss. What was there this time probably won't be next time, but there will be equally nice stuff.

About the hair... yes I got mine cut. It was down to my waist. Now it is a couple inches below my shoulder, slightly layered and shaped. I donated my hair to Locks of Love. It is curly and quite feminine looking. All I do is wash it, and put a little bit of moose or spray in it and I'm good to go. I can still pull it back too, if I want.

On a more spiritual note, I was reading in Psalms today and was greatly blessed by some verses in Psalm 109. Verses 21 through 27 especially.

No comments: