Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January BOM





There seems to be two blocks per month for this surprise Quilt I am doing. I finished up January's blocks yesterday, and started on February's.

Asterisk Block:



Wonky Pound Sign.. with Isaac inspecting my work:



The two above blocks used the cut and slash technique, which I am familiar enough with because of all the Disappearing Nine Patch quilts I like to do.

I need to get a 12.5 inch square ruler for squaring these blocks up, but for now they are done. So easy! I'm thinking about doing another quilt with a different color scheme.

The next block am working on is the Balkan Puzzle, and then the other block for February is the Chunky Chevron. The two February blocks explore two different ways of doing half square triangles. I usually use the method where you cut out squares, layer, draw a line diagonally, then sew 1/4" on each side. Then you cut on the line, press seams, and viola! : a nice, tidy, hst. On the Balkan Puzzle, the method is a new one to me, where you layer the squares, then sew all the way around them at 1/4". You then cut diagonally each way, corner to corner. You then end up with 4 hst's instead of only two. I've never tried this method, so I am looking forward to it! You can watch Amy's explanation on the free online video provided with the course.

Today I am taking a break from the BOM sewing and working on Caleb's quilt. I've cut and slashed and organized all the little blocks how I like them, and am sewing up rows. This part takes forever, it seems. Once the rows are formed, then it goes much faster as I sew the rows together to form the quilt top.

Have a great day!

No comments: