Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Growing Gardens



Mary, Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?


Well, my name isn't Mary, though sometimes I may be contrary. But my gardens are growing by the grace of God.

There are several different kinds of gardens. The first ones that come to mind may be vegetable gardens, or herb gardens, or flower gardens. Our flower garden is called the "Memorial Garden" because I have a plaque with a poem for Aaron on it. Right now the weeds are winning the battle, but the war isn't over yet. It has been all we can do to keep up with our big vegetable garden, which has it's own challenges between weeds, ant colonies, and a very bountiful crop of rocks.

This week we have been blessed with some of the bounty.




There are other gardens however in my life. Seven of them. Each garden has to be tenderly cultivated for that specific "crop". If you have ever read "Little Men" by Louisa May Alcott, you may get what I am alluding to.

My children.

Each one is different from the other. They all have their specific personalities, and little idiosyncrasies, and interests, and strengths and weaknesses.

For example, last Friday, Elizabeth ( who is 11) wanted to buy a certain book with her money. She explained it to me. I happen to have a copy and offered to let her borrow it, but she wanted her own copy. I told her "yes" and we went to get it off the shelf. Here is a pic, with her choice, for a little light reading.




That's right.. the complete works of Shakespeare! The amazing part is, that she read some of the Merry Wives of Windsor Saturday morning before breakfast and was giggling over some of the comedy, and could explain what she read to me. Remember, she is 11!

I want each of my children to have a good work ethic, so I am always pleased at my helpers when we are all pitching in together to get a big job done.




Of course, the youngest member of the Beehive can't do too much yet but look cute and provide us with endless entertainment. Someone pointed out how chubby he is and how my milk must be very good! Here is a comparison:

Newborn pic:



7 months old:



Speaking of which, some of his latest accomplishments are cutting his first tooth, rocking on his hands and knees, babbling in baby-ese and trying out all different vocal sounds, and trying to sit up on his own.

Like pulling out little weeds, we need to be caretakers of their characters. But let's not forget to admire, love, and enjoy them while they blossom to maturity.

No comments: