Monday, March 9, 2009

The Recent Buzz at the Hive

The last several days have been a whirlwind of activity.. seems to be our constant state of being. It is just that season of life where our days are busy, even on days when we are relaxing.

Last Wednesday we went to the Science Center. We have been wanting to go for a while, and haven't been since... oohhh, I think last Octoberish? Yikes! Anyway, we just packed lunch and took off for the day. We got back in time to get ready for church. It was a busy day, and both Isaac and I were worn out! Here are some pics:





















Thursday my mom came out for the weekend, which was a nice change in routine! I had a picture of her with Isaac but she threatened me as only a mother can if I posted it here on the blog. I don't know what her problem was.. I thought they were precious together!

Friday Dale went back to work and we did some tying up of loose ends for the school week and just enjoyed visiting in general. One of the loose ends was finishing up our Ancient Egypt lap book study. Whew! We started that in January and JUST finished it. Here are some pics of some coloring, pyramid, sarcphogus, and canopic jar crafts, and of course, the lapbooks.









Here are a few of the many, many links that I had bookmarked for the Ancient Egypt unit study that we enjoyed:

Nova Lost Empires

Ancient Egypt

Ancient Egypt for Kids

Discover Kids: Tutenstein

Free Ancient Egypt Lapbook Printables

Cat of Bubastes by G.A. Henty free online

There are oodles and oodles of sites to explore! The problem was picking and choosing what to do. TONS of crafts, activities, etc. They even tried making a pyramid out of snow at one point and wrote in heiroglypics and learned all about the process of mummification. BTW.. a note to the faint of heart, or have low gastrointestinal fortitude, the mummification process is NOT a good topic at the dinner table. Ask me how I know.


Saturday we all piled into our new-to-us 15 passenger van and headed out to Bonch o appuls (Barnes and Noble in Jerusha language). Oooh, that was so fun! The kids had some gift cards they hadn't used up and each got a little treat. I hit the bargain tables and also found some books to go with our next unit study on Patriot's Day, or the Revolutionary war. All in the name of "investment" of our children's education, of course. ;)

We got back in time for a late lunch, and then I made a casserole to bring to a friend who just miscarried and had to have a D&C. I learned a lesson. The Astro van is NOT appropriate for off-road four wheeling in the mud. Ugh. Her driveway was as muddy as ours. And on an incline. I tried to K turn, but my front tires ended up off the driveway and in the yard and sunk out of site. I thought I could "gun it" and go down and hop back on the driveway at the bottom. Nuthin' doin. I got stuck in the mire and ended up having to call Dale. He and Benjamin came to my rescue with the big van, thinking he could tow me out if necessary. What we ended up doing was basically pushing the van out. Dale would throw the Astro into reverse, and Benjamin and I would push on the front. Then he would put it in drive, and we'd push from the back. After many minutes of this, we finally got the van out, but not before I got splattered from head to toe with MUD and MUCK from the rear tire. My guys thought that was hilarious. I rushed home to clean up, sure Isaac was crying himself inside out, and my mom had long since gone deaf.

I got a quick shower and fed Isaac (who was just barely starting to lose it) and Dale and Benjamin tried to flatten the most of the ruts in the yard. He then went to the door to appologize for my tearing up their yard. My friend Amy, was astonished because she had no idea that I was even stuck, and said not to worry about the yard. Apparently they drive over it all the time, but have sense enough to wait until the mud dries up.

Sunday was a blessed day of rest, and today marked the beginning of the first full work with Dale back at work. My day started at 5:45a.m. with Isaac up and then NOT going back to sleep until it was too late for me to join him. It has been a busy day of orginization for the week, laundry, and orchestrating music practicing, and of course snuggling with Isaac. I hate to say it, but I am pooped! I got very used to Dale being here as an extra set of eyes and hands. I am so spoiled! I have to readjust to flying solo during the day again.

No comments: