Friday, December 3, 2010

Roller Coaster Week



You would think that after completing the NaNo challenge that I would be flying high for a while. I was cruising at a high altitude for a few day, but Thursday the whole family was dealt an unexpected blow that sobered us all up quickly.

Isaac hasn't been sleeping very well, and has been pulling some very late/early hours. Thursday morning around 1, just as we got Isaac asleep, the cat wanted to go out. He was meowing by the door, and I knew if I didn't let him out he'd be meowing up and down the hallway for the rest of the night.

The next morning after Dale went to work I called for Mattan, and he didn't come. No biggie. That was somewhat typical. Throughout the morning one of the kids would call for him from time to time. He didn't appear, and as the day wore I got worried. Being gone for more than twelve hours without poking his nose in was not his style. I got especially worried when I saw the neighbor's cat, Target, and arch enemy of Mattan, come strutting across our yard will a feline like smile on his face. Cats will try and dominate another cat's territory when they know the other cat is out of the picture.

Also, Tabby, Mattan's special friend, was hanging around a lot, meowing and waiting for Mattan.

I have to say that deep down I knew this wasn't going to end well, but I tried to downplay it to the kids. Esther is our resident cat expert, and knew something was up too.

We had lunch, still no Mattan. I curled up with Isaac,who actually slept,and tried to rest. Around 2, I heard the phone ring. I must have drifted off because the next thing I knew, Esther was in my room with the phone.

"It's Benjamin... he's with Tim. He said to hand you the phone whether you are asleep or not."

He found Mattan. Actually, Tim found Mattan. Benjamin went and confirmed it was our cat. He was up by the main road. Apparently he got hit by a vehicle during the night. It looked like he got hit in the head. Benjamin got a box, brought Mattan home, and buried him at the edge of the property.

So, we are adapting. I still look out the window looking for Mattan crossing the yard. Tabby is still hanging around meowing for him. And suddenly, all the cats in the neighborhood he lorded over feel at liberty to congregate in our yard again. The kids and I keep glancing at his usual favorite spots around the house and expect to see him there. He was about a year and a half old, but we have lots of fond memories.

To help fill the gap in our family, we are looking into adopting another one from the SPCA nearby. The kids are trying to talk Dale into getting two. We'll see how that works!

A week that started out so well has ended in sadness.

Goodbye Mattan, we love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Mattan....I well remember losing several of my pets (cats too) growing up. I will pray for your kiddos. :) Hope you find another one that suits your family. Love you!
Shellee

Mamachildress said...

I am so sorry to hear about Mattan. I still remember your story of when someone dropped the litter of kittens at the Church in a beer box!
I hope your family finds a perfect new kitten.

Hugs
Janet...mamachildress

Lisa said...

Thank you Shellee and Janet. He will be missed for sure.

Janet.. so funny you stopped in here today. I was just thinking about you and missing you around the forum! Hope you and your lovely family are doing well.

~Lisa