Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Summer Activities

No, we haven't fallen off the face of the earth. We have been pleasantly busy. The garden is doing well, and I think we have a handle on the weeds for the most part. Everything looks good!

The biggest happening this week is the official opening up of the pool. Yesterday was the first day the kids were in it. Some of them. Benjamin opted out. So did I, which meant Isaac did too. I don't have a thermometer for the pool, but it was probably just a couple degrees above freezing. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but it was COLD! No way I was going in. I think I will give it a few days to warm up before I take the plunge (pun intended).

Elizabeth however, has no fear of cold water and literally jumped in with only a slight hesitation for bracing herself against the cold. As usual, she was the first on in, and the last one out. Esther joined her, but much more slowly, working her way into the water a little bit at a time. Josiah and Caleb also played in the pool for a while, as did Jerusha who kept getting out and getting back in, flitting back and forth from the sunshine to the water. I made them get out when they started turning blue.

Another fun activity they are doing is joining the Barnes and Noble reading program. Click here to find out more details. They read 8 books, filling out this form we got at the local B & N. 8 books? That is all? They started reading Saturday, and all of them are done. Anyway, we bring the form back, signed by the parents (oh, that's me!) and they get to pick a free book for an assortment that has been advertised, using a cupon on the filled out form. A good way to get a free book!

Besides the weeding, there has been a little bit of wood stacking, and Dale has been doing some odds and ends around the house, like setting up the big AC unit downstairs, and looking into getting one for the new living room windows.

For fun we have the usual kick ball, base ball, basket ball, swimming, bike riding, Wii time, and general hanging out.

I have been plowing through some sewing, so if you haven't seen me online recently, you know why. ;) I have been making swim suits for the girls. I can't say I have completely finished them yet as I need some elastic and I ran out of thread for Elizabeth's suit while doing the hem. Here is a picture of her suit, unfinished hem and all. LOL....




Here is one I made for my friend's daughter... her leggings are made from the same material as the main part of the suit. Again... I need some elastic! A trip to Joann's is scheduled for tomorrow or Friday. We need some craft stuff for certain Father's day gifts that we have been planning. Ahem... that is top secret though, but I'll post pics next week.

No comments: