Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Jehovah Jireh!

This morning I was up early picking peas. We have even more that weren't ready yet, but probably will be in a few days. I love fresh peas! We don't do enough in the garden to put much, if any, up for later use, but we love to eat them right away. I enlisted all my good helpers!



While we were diligently shelling I had in a book on CD called : "Sand Dune Pony" written by Troy Nesbit and read by Ted Barker. It is an excellent book, and makes the task of shelling much more pleasurable.



The really awesome part of the day was after we had finished the peas. A friend I have who runs a food pantry had a contact for hundreds of pounds of strawberries. They were available in only 30 lb. containers. I ordered 4. Yup, that is 120 lbs of strawberries I was looking at this afternoon to wash, hull, and put up. I didn't know what condition the strawberries were in. Were they good enough to eat fresh? Or were they "jam berries"?

Well, she got here around 2:30, and I opened one of the boxes... they were already washed, hulled and individually frozen! All we had to do was bag them up!



Okay, I admit we saved out a couple of gallons for immediate use for smoothies or just munching on. Here is a sample of those big, beautiful berries that were dropped right in our laps!



Here is what 120 lbs. of strawberries looks like bagged in gallon sized freezer bags... minus a few for "testing" and the couple of gallons saved for immediate use.



By the way, we were done with the berries in about 45 minutes. Amazing! I was so surprised and relieved not to have to be up half the night doing strawberries, though I was fully prepared to do it.

Now I have time to work on a certain apron for a certain apron exchange I am late in getting finished!

No comments: