Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Missed Monday!

I had a blog post all planned out yesterday and just plain never got a round to it. You know those things... those little round "tuits". One of these days maybe I'll get a bucket full of them and catch up on a few things around here that I haven't had time to get around "tuit". My mother in law was the first one I ever about those pesky little "tuits' from. So, for one Christmas, I gave her a small child's sand pail (new of course) with a bunch of juice can lids that I had cleaned and written "tuit" on. She got a chuckle out of that. That was many years ago, before we had children and I had time to sit and write "tuit" a hundred times for no good reason.

We have gotten around "tuit" on several projects around here anyway. I finished a set of dressed for the twins. Jerusha's dress is one handed down from when the girls were that size. She just wanted to be in on the picture, the little ham.



We've also been working on school, and getting loose ends tied up. I think all the regular testing is done, and we need to order the standardized tests for the twins and Benjamin to take this year. We are late on doing that, but it will have to do. Here are some of the activities we have been doing. One is a lapbook on astronomy. We also finished up a lab book on the U.S. Constitution. I will be posting the more about those with corresponding links that we found helpful in another post. For now, here is a sample pic of two of our lap books:



We have been doing piano/recorder during the year for music. A lot of times I have a rotation of sorts set up for different activities... someone at the piano, someone at the puter, someone reading history, or whatever. After about 20 minutes we rotate. In the afternoons, during quiet time, they do their individual work.





For Mother's Day, Dale had offered to take us all out to eat, but I really wanted to just stay in, relax in my comfy clothes, and have some delicious blueberry pancakes. In the afternoon I got a nice nap, and while I was resting, the children gathered up our recycled craft supplies (ie... juice containers, cardboard, and the like), and made some airplanes, WW1 style. They have this game on the puter called Red Ace Squadron, and got the idea for the planes from that. I must say, they were very creative, and I enjoyed seeing what they came up with.







It is customary for the church to give each mother and young lady a flower for Mother's Day, and the girls all gave me theirs when we got home. They were very pretty, deep colored, red carnations.



Today was one of those days that started out with taking one step forward, and about 10 backwards. We are SO ready for a break from schoolwork! Thankfully, we are almost finished, and only have a few little loose ends to tie up. All the major subjects are done. We are working up finishing book and research reports, memorizing Romans 2, a few more Spanish lessons, and I think the twins have a few reader stories left to do. Other than that, we are pretty much done. Through the sumemr we will be practicing piano, some sewing for the Fibers of Faith group, and math review for Esther starting in a few weeks. Oh, and reading. Our kids LOVE to read.

After an awkward morning, things got rolling just fine. Through the course of the day, all the regular chores were done, I mowed the lawn, and we had the garden plowed and the kids helped Mr. Butch (yes, they really call him that!) shovel and spread shale at the end of the church driveway to fill in a couple of major potholes. We'll be spreading gravel soon, too. Also, Mr. Butch said he would be back to use the drag on the garden. I was so thankful to hear that! He made our garden about 25% larger, which still doesn't make a HUGE garden, but the thought of raking all the furrows out was somewhat daunting. I can't wait to plant! Here are a couple pics:

Mr. Butch plowing the garden:



The kids riding in the back of Mr. Butch's truck back to the house. (No one have a heart attack here.. the house is in back of the church property. Our driveways even connect. He never drove them on the road. )



Isaac has been trying to roll over. He hasn't quite got the hang of it yet, however! I told him he didn't have to be in a hurry, but babies seem to have their own opinions of these things.





This next pic was after I had freshly changed a diaper and was getting him dressed. Yeah, I admit it, I helped him all the way over. He is just so stinkin' cute!



Blessings from our house to yours!

No comments: