Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The applesauce factory is up and running!

I hope you all had a blessed holiday! Thanksgiving wasvery nice here, and relaxing for me since I kept getting shoo'd out of the kitchen to go and rest. At 36 plus weeks preggers I am very slow moving and must look a little rickety when I walk. LOL... at any rate, less than four weeks to go, and I have several projects I want to get done before the baby arrives.


One is our applesauce. We have 7 bushels of apples to do up... well, HAD seven bushels. Yesterday and today we have busily jumping right in and trying to do 2 bushels a day, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and the last one on Friday.



If you are doing more than a bushel of apples, I highly reccomend using a Squeezo machine. It is somewhat of a pain to clean, but so worth it in the time you save in making the applesauce! Here is a pic of ours, all shiney and clean before we ran two bushels of apples thru it today.











The next thing we do, is wash all the apples... I have lots of little washers to help out with this step. For some reason they all like to do it.













Then there is the cooking down, which doesn't really take that long, especially with Mac's (our favorite). After they are washed I cut the apples in fourths, removing any bad spots if neccessary, and throw them in the pot. After they are cooked, we put them thru the Sqeezo, and it removes stems, seeds, and skin. We end up with some nice, thick, nutritious applesauce.





Then, of course, time for the Squeezo to do its job:








And the yummy results....





Yesterday we did 31 quarts of applesauce. They all sealed, except for one quart, which we put out of its misery at breakfast this morning. One more pic.. not of applesauce, but of a blessing from the Lord this morning:



It was much prettier in real life, but I ran outside, well, waddled outside to get this pic. It was a blessed reminder of God's love and promises to us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh that applesauce looks YUMMY!!!!! Nice blog! This was the template I used when I first started blogging too!! :o)

Regina said...

I can't wait to do that as well! Yummmm! Where did you get your squeezo?

Regina

Lisa said...

Regina,
My Squeezo was given to my by my grandmother several years ago when she stopped doing canning and stuff. She had bought it to replace her old one, then never used it. Everything was still in its orginal packaging! It has been a blessing to our family.

Unknown said...

Looks like a lot of fun and *fruitful* work! Heh heh