Thursday, April 18, 2013

South Carolina!

Last Monday my mom and I left PA.  Now, that sounds simple enough.  But if you remember my previous post, you'll also remember that last Friday and Saturday was Talents for Christ.  Sunday was church, and I ended up teaching a Sunday School class that I wasn't prepared for (the regular teacher was sick), and the family sang special music, and my mom was here, (she pulled in Saturday afternoon, a few hours before we returned from Bloomsburg), and I had laundry to do, and finishing up packing.  Okay, now that you have an idea of what all entails that simple little statement, let me start again.

Last Monday, my mom and I left PA.  She rented a Chrysler 200 for the trip.


No, you are seeing the picture right.  The color really is, what my mom calls, "Ca-Ca Brown."  Ugly color, but it is gorgeous on the inside and rides well, though a bit low for my taste (my mom said it felt like our behinds were dragging on the ground).  Also, I had to get used to how it handled.  Driving the van, I had to get used to gradual turning capacity, and a slight delay in compensation steering.  That is natural; it is a big vehicle.  The Chrysler is like a squirrel... touchy gas and breaks, and the steering is tight and sudden.  My mom handed over most of the first days' driving to me.  It took me a bit to get used to the feel of the Chrysler, and it was a good thing she brought her Dramamine with her.  After a while I got smoother, and so it was much better for everyone, us and those around us.  

We arrived in Harrisonburg, VA around 2pm.  We checked in then went out for a late lunch.  Or an early dinner.  Either way, I was slightly alarmed to note that the gray haired crowed started coming in for their meals after we were almost done with ours.  

After we ate, we took advantage of the heated, indoor pool, and swam for a couple of hours.  Then we headed back to the room, showered, and crashed for the night.  The hotel room at the Best Western was adequate, but not luxurious.  Clean, but you could see some wear and tear in the room, such as the bathroom door knob being broken, and the built in tissue box being empty, and a light bulb that was blown out.  

Tuesday we got in to our hotel here in Easley, SC, around 3pm.  We are staying at a Hampton Inn, and it is wonderful.  
 I don't know why, but this desk and chair tickled my fancy.  Go figure.  Yeah, that's my stuff all over that corner.  



 Sometimes hotels find it necessary to have those annoyingly hard mattresses.  I don't know why.  I don't know anyone who likes to sleep on a cement slab masquerading as a mattress.  Not so these.  They are soft, with just enough support.  




Of course, there is some pretty artwork in the room and scattered throughout the hotel.  The directly over the desk is of some red poppies, painted with acrylics I think.  This one, is watercolor I believe.



 The pool here is an outdoor pool, and it was COLD.  So far I haven't ventured into it more than to stick my arm in to check for the temperature.  Brrrrr!  I want to exercise, not contract hypothermia.




 Meet Nelson.  He is a very friendly sort, very helpful, very accommodating, and very gracious in dealing with us crazy Yankees.  He has a wonderful slow southern drawl, and is sweeter than the tea they serve down here.  The Hampton Inn CEO should be honored to have an employee such as Nelson.  



Now don't say "what in the world did she put this in here for?".  That is the elevator.  I was wondering what that little hole in the door is for.  Can you see it?


 Let me get a closer shot....
Oops!  Caught another guest coming out by accident.  You can imagine the look I got as I took this picture just as the door opened for him. LOL!



There we go.  I'm guessing it is some sort of access hole.  It doesn't go all the way through however.  Maybe for a little camera to see under the elevator car?  I don't know.  Can anyone clue me in?

They have towels provided for the pool area, which as I said before, I haven't used as yet.


We opted to make use of the Fitness Center they have.  They had a treadmill, an elliptical (both shown) and a recumbent bike.  (Memere not included; you have to bring your own.)




Weights... and  some of those medicine balls, and a big red balance ball.




Towels and water provided (those are the medicine balls to the left).


Wednesday we hit the road with my handy dandy list of "quilt" shops I had made.  I had looked these all up online, and printed up their addresses to plug into Jill.  Jill is my mom's GPS.  But that is a story for tomorrow, as it is getting late.  Also, I have lots more pics to share!  

Have a wonderful evening!

No comments: