Monday, November 22, 2010

The Game Plan



Like almost every other American family, for us, this will be a busy week. At least up until Thursday. How do you prepare for Thanksgiving? Do you wing it? (No pun intended... maybe) Do you have a list, or lists to keep you on track? Or maybe you have lists but ignore them an just do whatever comes to mind? No matter how you do it, it gets done, and I'm sure you will have a lovely holiday.

I'm a list type person for the most part. I like to keep a "Ta Da" list. Not a "To Do" list, a "Ta Da" list. I like to see the tasks marked off. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. I've also learned that it helps to keep my expectations more realistic. I tend to plan way more than what Super Woman could do in one day. I don't always get everything crossed off. Truth is, I almost never get everything crossed off. But, I almost always get most of it crossed off. That is where the sense of "Ta Da" comes in.

I won't bore you with the details of my list for everyday but the basic game plan for this week is:

Monday: Detail clean the kitchen, laundry, start some cleaning downstairs, take the turkey out of the freezer.

Tuesday: Do the rest of the cleaning, laundry, prep the guest room, make dinner rolls, bake squash for a squash pie, check on the turkey and see how the defrosting is progressing.

Wednesday: Pie making day! This year we are making 2 apple pies, 2 lemon meringue pies, 1 french silk chocolate pie, 2 pumpkin pies, and 1 squash pie (my dad prefers squash over pumpkin, but I've noticed he's never refused pumpkin if the other wasn't available). Also, I make sure all the finishing touches are done on the cleaning, and poke at the turkey and pray it is defrosted for the next day. Wednesday evening after church I prep the turkey so I can shove it in the oven at O'darkthirty Thursday morning.

That is the basic plan. We try to eat between 1 and 1:30 or so. The rest of the fixings I make while the turkey is doing it's thing in the oven and driving us all bonkers with the smell.

We are looking forward to lots of family time this week with grandparents coming in for a few days.

Oh, before I forget, I finished Isaac's scrappy Forrest Soaker last night. I can check another project off my list!



I will lanolize that today while I am cleaning in the kitchen. After the kitchen is clean, I'll reward myself with some sewing time. I was hoping to finish Jerusha's blouse over the weekend but that didn't work out. We had a certain birthday to get ready for on Sunday. Happy birthday to my sweet heart!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun and DELICIOUS week, Lisa! :) Those PIES! YUM! We go to my mom's house (already did dh's side this past Sunday) so I am just bringing a pumpkin pie, apple pie, and rolls. So I get off easy right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Lisa and Post family!

We had a great time with other missionaries on Tues. even had turkey and ham! :) Our family was also blessed to have a turkey and we ate our family thanksgiving dinner last night. Our 16 lb. turkey took up my ENTIRE oven. :)

Can't wait to see pics from THanksgiving!

love & prayers,
Shellee