Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Book in Review.....



"Master Your Metabolism" by Julian Michaels.

I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, but already I'm having some light bulb moments. For example.... I've been counting calories, exercising like crazy, and yes, weight is coming off, but it is S L O W! I keep thinking... why isn't it coming off faster? I'm working hard, being so careful about everything I put in my mouth, so why isn't the weight melting off? I have PLENTY to lose. It isn't like I am a mere 10 pounds away from my goal weight. According to the official weight ranges, I'm still "obese". I can see that things are going in the right direction, but why won't my weight go down a little faster?

I have always blamed it on my metabolism. Rightfully so, indeed, but there is much more to metabolism, at least the way I used to think of it.

Metabolism is more than just burning calories. Every action and reaction in our bodies are controlled by hormones. If one little hormone is out of whack, then it messes up the whole thing. Jillian Michaels likens it to an orchestra. It sounds amazing and wonderful when everything is in tune, but all you need is for one instrument to be a little off, and the whole thing just sounds wrong.

As I am reading this book, I am amazed at her history too. That fitness guru used to have some major weight issues! You'd never know it now! I'm not particularly interested in having a "hot" body as she says, but I am interested in the general health benefits to getting hormones and metabolism under control. It can prevent things like diabetes... which runs all through my family. I used to think I was just plain doomed, but after what little I have read, I may be able to prevent it altogether. Maybe. It's worth a try, I'd say.

Our bodies are indeed fearfully and wonderfully made. There is nothing wrong with understanding better how they work so we can better take care of them. There is nothing wrong with understanding how toxins in our food and environment also effect our hormones. It is scary and amazing.

I'm sure you have heard it said... that people "way back when" were thinner and more fit because their lifestyle was more active. That is partly true. I have come to believe that it also because the food they consumed wasn't riddled with man made, added-in chemicals and hormones, no processed foods, no junk, basically. That, coupled with the fact that life "way back then" was more active by necessity, gives a better chemical and hormonal balance in general.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, so to speak. If you are tired of killing yourself with a grueling exercise regime, and counting every single calorie obsessively, then I highly recommend this book. The plain fact is, you can do EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING right, but if your hormones are out of whack, it will be for nothing, or very little at best.

As previously stated, I haven't finished the book yet, so I may have to retract this recommendation, but I'm so excited about this that I couldn't wait! Where it will lead... we'll see.

No comments: