Saturday, January 10, 2009

Packages in the Mail

Don't you love getting packages in the mail? I love the anticipation of the arrival of something we have ordered. Even though I know of the order of the item, the *surprise* of the arrival is still very enjoyable. I am finding that we order more and more online. It is convenient, and if you get the "free shipping" specials, then it isn't any more in cost than buying at a store. In fact, many times, money is saved because you don't have to spend money in gas.

This past Christmas, I did most of the shopping online. I did it in my pj's drinking tea, one evening after the kids were in bed. We also order most of our school books online. I have ordered patterns online. I buy stuff from Ebay at times.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to order online. For example, our Dollar store carries a good line of products that we get cheaper there than anywhere else. I still love to hunt in thrift stores and yard sales for bargains. Sometimes a local store will have a really good clearance sale that provide for some need or another. I don't like to order fabric online. I'm the textile type, and like to feel and touch fabric before I purchase it.

What is the point of all this rambling? Nothing. I just wanted to share what we got in the mail yesterday. :)

This is the book Mommy Diagnostics by Shondra Parker. I have been wanting this book for a very long time. It was on sale this week, and when I mentioned it to dh, he quickly said "get it". I think I am winning him over to my herbal junkie tendencies. :)



Another package I got was some Indian cotton diapers, snappi's, and a couple of covers I ordered from Green Mountain Diapers. Yes, we are going to cloth! I am looking forward to it. We haven't CD'd in a long time and now that I have researched and think I figured out where we went wrong before, I can't wait to give it another try. I bought 2 dozen small Indian cloth diapers, 3 snappi fasteners, and two covers. I have some other covers I got used. The resident mathematician estimated it will take about 4 months for the diapers and CD supplies to pay for themselves.



As far as making our own wipes, we figure they cost about half what a generic brick from Walmart's cost. That is just a rough estimate. I also think they smell better, personally, and are gentler on baby's bottom.

We didn't get the item(s) in the next pic in mail but it was Isaac's first venture in the swing and I couldn't resist snapping a shot.



Another way we are saving money today, is by having Benjamin's wicked good pizza for supper. He makes two large sheet pizzas, and it costs about $5 for the two pizzas. Have you priced how much it costs to buy from Dominoes, or any such pizza place? YIKES! One time we splurged and got one sheet pizza and two larges, with sundry toppings, oh and a 2 liter bottle of soda (we never drink that stuff, but if I remember it was a special occasion with company or something.. was a while ago) and it came to about $60! Oiy vey! Our homemade pizza is MUCH much much cheaper, and it tastes better, if I do say so myself.

No comments: