Friday, January 16, 2009

It's COLD! Yay for Winter!



I must be insane. Surely others must think so. This morning, by the time Dh left, it had WARMED UP to -16 degrees. Yes, warmed up to that temperature. I stepped outside this morning before breakfast to snap a couple pics, and to just get some of that wonderful winter air. There is something about that crispness, and the "snot freezing" cold air (as my mother says) that I like to indulge in for a moment. Not a long time, mind you.. after all, it is frigid out, but just getting some of that fresh air my lungs and in my brain helps wake a body up, and clears the cobwebs. The sun is out, and it is reflecting off the snow, making it sparkle like jewels.

I tried to capture some of that beauty on my camera, but I'm not a very good photographer, so these don't do justice. The first pic is of the roof of our shed outside our living room window. When I was taking the pic, I could see all the dazzling snow crystals, sparkling away, greeting the new day. The second one is of the INSIDE of the glass door to our "back stoop". It is the enclosed area leading up to our back door. You can see the wreath still on the door, but the frost and ice is on the inside. Thankfully, the house is plenty warm, thanks to our woodstove, which seems to be keeping up wonderfully.





I know some would say "Yeah, you may like it now but soon you'll be wishing it was summer."

I trow not.

There was a time when summer was my favorite season. The heat didn't bother me, because I tended to run cold all the time. Now, a couple of decades and several children later, my thermostat has changed, and I tend to run warm, and can barely tolerate summer, even with the AC's on. I love winter. I like being able to drink hot tea without sweating. I like cuddling up under quilts and afghans. I like to have to wear layers. I like the smell of the woodstove. I like to see the smoke wafting in the air from our chimney. I like the dry, cool air. I want us to retire to a cabin in Maine someday. I know, I am weird. :)

I couldn't resist including this shot of Isaac. At 3 1/2 weeks he is trying to hold his head up, and every day can do it for a longer period of time. He is having lots of awake time, and studying EVERYTHING over! His sleeping pattern still is askew, which has made some very short nights for us, but that is okay. We know this is just for a season.

No comments: