Saturday, July 19, 2008

Prophecy Tidbit from Psalm 22



I love it that even if you read the Bible everyday, you never know everything. The Holy Spirit teaches us constantly, showing us what we need to know when we need to know it. Some things we may not be able to understand now, but will be able to say, in 6 months. Then our spiritual eyes are opened and we learn something new.

I had one of those "light bulb" moments this week while attending VBS. It came from Psalm 22. I have read that Psalm dozens of times, at least, and I never really understood this one fact until this week. It made me appreciate the perfectness of God's Word even more.

Psalm 22:1 "My God, my God, why host thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the worlds of my roaring?"

Psalm 22:14 "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels."

Psalm 22:16 "For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet."

Psalm 22:17 "I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me."

Psalm 22:18 "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture."

Those are just a few of the verses from this prophetic Psalm. I realize that most Christians, as well as myself, can discern right away that David is talking about the crucifixion of Jesus here, inspired by God Himself. That is somewhat basic, I understand. But what didn't hit home for me until this week was this amazing fact:

Psalm 22, and the prophecy of crucifixion, was written about 1,000 years before crucifixion was ever done! It was unheard of back in David's day!

Just another example of how God's word is perfect, written by Holy men of God, and He instructed them!

No comments: