Thursday, June 2, 2011

Home Remedies for Headaches and Migraines

My daughter Esther and I suffer from headaches and migraines from time to time. We both seem to be more prone to them than anyone else in the family. I detest popping Tylenol or ibuprofen in general, so a long time ago I started seeking out some home remedies. This article highlights some of what I have learned over the years.

The problem with headaches is that there are so many different causes! Allergies, tension, sleeping position, strain from holding a toddler on one hip, stress... the list goes on and on. One day you may have a headache from sleep deprivation. The next you may have one from your neck position from actually getting sleep. The next day maybe it is sinus related. Different foods can cause headaches too. If you are one who gets migraines, then that is an extra dose of pain not accompanying regular headaches, and the relief desired can't come soon enough.

The linked article is very helpful! A couple of things I might add that has helped with Esther and I are ginger oil, or ginger tea. It helps relieve pressure in the blood vessels. Also we have an all natural anti- migraine stick I got from the natural food store down town. You just apply it to your forehead. It has many of the essential oils mentioned that help alleviate migraines. For Esther the best thing has been a little lavender oil on her forehead, a cold compress over it, and sleep. If she can get into a nice deep sleep, it almost always takes care of it.

My obligatory disclaimer: I am not a physician or certified herbalist, and any concerns you have you should use your best judgement and seek professional help if deemed necessary.

Here's the link to the article:

Home Remedies for Headaches and Migraines

2 comments:

Lori said...

Thanks for posting this link. I have migraines and do all I can to not take anything over the counter. Someone told me about the Feverfew awhile back and I couldn't remember what they told me.

My neurologist recommended fresh squeezed lemonade. It works, but not always.

I usually have to sleep mine off.

Renee said...

Remember how I was posting about God's faithfulness? This could not have been more timely!!! Thank you for posting.