Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Girl's Day Out

The twins and I recently had an impromptu, fun, "girl's afternoon out". It started by us having to go up to the mall to pick up their new glasses. After we did that little errand we walked around the mall a bit. I'm not much of a mall rat, but it was fun to just hang out for a while with my oldest girls.

I am NOT a shopper. I don't usually like to just go to the mall to hang out. That just isn't my thing. However, I did need some new shoes for church, so when we went into one of the kazillion shoe stores, the girls got a kick out of watching me trying to pick out a pair of black dress shoes. Honestly, you would have thought that it effected the state of the Nation. I didn't realize how long it was since I had had to buy shoes!

Anyway, I wasn't going to pay full price, so I stuck to the clearance aisles. That can be complicated. You find something you like, but all they have left are some rather odd colors. Or they have every size but the one you wear. Or there are two left shoes in a box, and no one seems to know where the right foot shoe may be. Or you try on the perfect pair only to find they are horribly uncomfortable. All the while I was hunting for a pair of decent black shoes that didn't look hideous, I kept eyeballing a really cute pair of brown shoes. I just couldn't keep my eyes off them!

After an eternity of hunting, I finally found a really cute pair of black shoes. A right foot and a left foot in the box, and in my size! I tried them on and ... they fit and felt wonderfully. Mission accomplished.

There was just one little problem.... those adorable brown shoes. They kept calling out to me. Is it my fault that they leaped into my arms as I walked by with the black shoes? What is a body to do?

Dale just rolled his eyes as the girls told him about my adventures in the shoe store. I told him... "Look on the bright side... they were both on clearance, so it was like getting two pairs for the price of one!" Somehow, that didn't impress him.





While we were walking the mall, we stopped in the Gertrude Hawk candy store. If you want some sinfully delicious chocolate, this is the place to go. They have a lovely assortment of all manner of delectable treats. I treated the girls, and myself ( naughty, I know... but I had skipped lunch and we WERE doing all that walking, so it got burned off, right?) each to a candy bar. I got mint chocolate, Esther got Krispies Krunch, and Elizabeth got Almond Toffee. We traded bites, and enjoyed our treats until, just as Elizabeth and I were stuffing the last bites of our candy into our mouths, Esther said in her sweet way, "I think I'll save the last section for Daddy."

Elizabeth and I stopped mid-chew and looked wide-eyed at each other.

"Mmmfm mfmfm ffmfmgmf ."
Translated: That's a good idea.

Of course, it was too late for us to follow suit. But I was proud that at least one of us and been so generous. I mean, this IS chocolate we're talking about!

After the mall we drove across the main road to T.J. Maxx, one of my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E places to go. If you have never been in one, you should. They have overstock from other stores at discounted prices. And their inventory changes constantly so if you don't see what you want there one time, then go back a week or so later. I guess it is what they call a rotating stock, or some such thing. Anyway, the girls found some cute tops for wearing while we are out and about this summer. Not good for gardening, but good for when we are out shopping or something like that.




While the missionaries were here a few weeks ago, we made beaded necklaces. The girls got on a roll and made a boatload of them.



I made just one, but I really like how it came out.

No comments: