Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall, Autumn, Whatever You Call It

I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. So I spend almost all the daylight hours in the open air.
-Nathaniel Hawthorne


This has been my exact thought over the last several days. Our rainy Fall has relented into some simply beautiful days, in which I loathe to spend more time than necessary inside.

We have been busy however, with doing up 12 bushels of apples into applesauce. Last week we produced 135 quarts, not including what was saved aside for eating on at the next mealtime, or for snack. We are nearing the end of the 12 bushels, with only 4 or so left to go.

Over the weekend we attended the Fall Festival in a nearby town. We went to a Quilt Show, a Wood working show, the book sale at the Library, a couple of yard sales, and the local corn maze and obstacle course.

I also did the last mowing of the season. I know it is silly, but I really like the last mowing and try to finagle all the chores so I can delegate that one for myself. I love to think back over the summer and review the highlights, and remember back when the mowing was saved until after 7pm because it was so hot, and note with satisfaction that in the evening I needed my hooded sweatshirt and the air was already cool and crisp despite and unseasonably warm day.

These sunny autumn days are indeed precious. They only come once a year, and many of the autumn days this year have been rainy and gray. So, if your day today has sunshine in it, lift your face to the sky and thank God for such a simple, yet profound gift of a few minutes basking in the autumnal rays.

No comments: