Tuesday, August 27, 2013

First Day of School!

Well, actually today was the second day of school.  :)

However, I have to say, the first day... yesterday... went far better than I could have hoped.  Sure, we are still clear as mud on some of the procedures, but we are learning.

Oh, we have access to a "bus" for some of our transportation.  Every time the "bus" from the school district drives us to and from the school, we save about $10 in gas money for the big van, and around $5 if we used the small van.  Now some times I'll have to drive, like when we have Volleyball practice, for example.  But over all, it is nice to be able to cut a few corners two to three times a week on the gas bill.  Oh, and our "bus" is a 9 passenger new Suburban.  Nice!  And, we are the only family that it picks up.  It's almost like having our own limo service!  The following pics Dale took as I was throwing the last of my stuff together on Monday morning.  They are a little rushed, as the driver was WAY earlier than we expected.

 Everyone smile!  (Psst Josiah! That means you!)

First Day of school!  


I have 3 children in my class, including my own little gremlin, Isaac.  One little boy, who likes to be called "Buggy" started today.  He is very much a pre-schooler and will only be attending the recommended two days a week.  Isaac is in K(4-ish.... long story short, I decided to just see how he would do with the curriculum for Kindergarten and let the chips fall where they may.  Didn't really matter, as he would have been with me in the classroom even if he was too young to start officially, so I figured, why not go for the gusto?)  Emily, my only girl, is most definitely very Kindergarten.  I am fully expecting her to proceed to graduate and proceed to first grade by the end of the term.

Now, let me tell you, that after almost getting comfortable with Isaac and Emily on Monday, I found out Buggy would be joining us.  He and his mother had come up to my room just as "Quiet Time" was ending (you know, that blessed time after lunch when they are supposed to lay down and nap... I don't enforce the napping, but I do enforce some quiet time.  I have audio books I let them listen to, some soothing music if they want, but their little brains need rest after so much learning!  Not to mention the teacher needs a chance to catch up on organizing for a craft, or paperwork, etc.).  Ohhhhhh boy.  I learned that as a baby he had fallen from crib and sustained a brain injury.  His mom told me he has anger issues, and will get a bloody nose when he gets upset.  He hits and kicks when he gets frustrated.

Oh boy.

Well, while she was talking to me, all he did was retreat behind her.  That brought tears to her eyes.  I could just see the foreboding in them.

All the while I am thinking.... I am NOT trained for this!  Any kind of special education, I really have NO clue about whatsoever!  And, I was really concerned that I would just make things worse with my ineptitude.

His mom dropped him off this morning just before we were to go in for pledges and announcements in the auditorium.  Our classroom is right next door, so it isn't a long trip.  Mrs. Greene, who met them at the front door of the school, tried to get the Mom to just let her take him at the door, but she would have none of it.  She had to come up with him to the classroom.  He did the whole retreat behind Mom thing, but in the end, he had to go potty.  While he was in the bathroom, Mom left.  When he came out and discovered she was gone.... it wasn't pretty.

Mrs. Greene took the brunt of it by leading him out.  They were gone almost a half an hour, and we could hear him while he cried and screamed at her in the gym downstairs, on the opposite side of the building.  After a while, he seemed to calm down.  At least, it got quieter.  By then we had all dismissed to our classrooms.  We went about our business as usual (whatever that is... still haven't figured out if that word even applies to my life anymore!) and eventually he and Mrs. Greene came up.  It was about 25 minutes or so.  He wasn't crying, but he wasn't talking to me either.

Then he saw the car set and the play mat with the road on it for the cars.  He was engaged in that activity for a long time.

Isaac and Emily wanted to play with him and I decided that was a good idea.  Let's see how he does with other children playing.  I am happy to say he did great!  In fact, as the day went on, I got to see him smile a lot, laugh a lot (like while we were chasing balls around in the gym on break or gym class).  He got along with the other kids just fine!  He was polite to me, and seemed to like holding my hand a lot whenever we went around the building.  He was a good little helper cleaning up too, when it was time.

And let me tell you, there is no two ways about, this kid is SHARP.  I could see that right away.  So what the brain damage is from the crib accident I don't know.  At least not yet.  All I can say is that after the initial total meltdown in the first 25 minutes, he was fine.  In fact, he didn't seem to want to leave when Mom came to pick him up at the end of the day.  Of course, I think that had more to do with the fact I had allowed them to finish up a few minutes early so they could play on the little playground than anything I did for him.

You just really never know what a day may bring forth!  I pray that when I see him Thursday he will be much better with the transition from Mom to school.


Blessings!

No comments: