Friday, November 2, 2012

In the Land of Nano

For obvious reasons, I was keeping a countdown last week, and had the pleasure of my parents staying with us for a few days.  What a wonderful way to spend time, especially during those anticipatory pre-Nano days.

Esther and I made our preparations.  They went from the physical to the mental.  The physical was stocking up on caffeine and snacks for those times when our brains need a boost, either sweet or savory.  Mentally, we both have been jotting ideas and thoughts down in what we call our NanoNotebooks.  Mine fits in my purse, so if we are out and I'm noodling over an idea, I can write it down so my old brain won't forget it later, and then I end up kicking myself, and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth... not pretty.

Of course, to start off the Nano with a bang, Frankenstorm had to come through.  Where we are in Pennsylvania was in the high threat zone, but thankfully all it has amounted to is a LOT of rains, a little snow here and there, high winds, a bit of water in the basement (which the sump pump has kept up with just fine) and a 4 hour power outage, much to the children's delight.  They love it when we lose power, especially at night.  For them it is an adventure.  I had no real worries except for the fact that it doesn't take long for FrankenLaundry to develop.  Our prayers go out to those on the coast of course, some of which who are still without power.

This storm did provide an example of my favorite kind of teaching: Real Life.  I had the kids study about what made Frankenstorm such a superstorm and we have been looking at pictures online and reading the articles and updates.  It is amazing the damage that has been done, and if those pictures of NYC, dark and empty are eerie, than I don't know what is.  The "City that Never Sleeps" looks dead and empty.  It is a once in a lifetime occurrence, and indeed, this is one for the History books.

It has been very wet and rainy, drizzly, gray here, but Elizabeth and I have found time to go out for our Death Marches, uh, jogs.  Dale has been starting to walk again, so I get in about an extra 25 minutes or so with him.  I much prefer being outside, than trying to exercise to a tape inside.  Too many little bodies around!

Thursday was November 1st, and all Wednesday I had the countdown on the NaNo site up on my laptop, propped in the dining room and would call out the countdown from time to time.  I was hoping that I would drive everyone crazy enough so that they would be glad for the NaNoWriMo would start and I would be out of the way.  There is method to the madness, people!

I kicked of Thursday by doing my nails.  I used a pea green coat under a black "crackle" layer.  I'm hoping it will promote good writing mojo.  If nothing else it gives me something else to look than than the blank screen when I get stuck.

The first day of Nano was a wonderful success for me... the quota is 1666 words per day to finish on time.  I hit 2903 last night, and I didn't even have to stay up late to do it!  This story I'm doing is writing itself right now.  I know from experience that euphoria doesn't last forever.  Sooner or later I'm going to get bogged down, but for now, I have enough ideas to keep things moving for a while.

Speaking of writing, I need to get to it.  I've delegated some cleaning, it's a light day of school work, and later this evening the older children and I are going up to God's Adventure Camp for an overnight Harvest Retreat.  It is going to be wonderfully fun, cold, damp, but a superb outing I think.  It runs from 5pm tonight to 12 pm. tomorrow.  When we get home we are going to want showers, lunch, a nap, and then back to writing for me.  Dale is staying home for the littles, and I am going as a chaperon.  Ha.  I'm really going because I wanted in on the fun.

To all of those still suffering the effects of Frankenstorm please know you are being prayed for.

Stay safe, have a blessed day!

No comments: