Friday, May 2, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes...

I was folding laundry in my room, when I heard a minor "debate" going on out in the kitchen between Caleb, Josiah, Esther, and Benjamin. Caleb was sitting at the table doing some printing, Esther and Josiah were finishing up some dishes, and Benjamin was stirring up some bread. I went out to see what the debate was and Esther said that Caleb was contending that a word she said was a bad word. I was inwardly cringing. I asked what word it was. Esther said that she and Josiah had said "I hope this don't make too big a mess." Caleb was saying that "don't" was the bad word.

This is a very good example of how reading to the children pays off. Caleb can't read yet, but hears the grammar and how the sentences are supposed to sound. So, he corrected his older siblings.

Take time to read to your children! They absorb more than we think.

No comments: