Monday, May 5, 2008

Gardens and Yardwork

We certainly have our work cut out for us this spring. The yard needs some serious cleaning up from doing wood last fall.. lots of sliver pieces and bark and stuff. We are raking it into a burn pile. Also, there is some gravel in the yard from having our driveway plowed, which will need to be raked out quickly, as now the grass is getting tall enough that it looks like it needs mowing!

We planted potatoes in the garden on Saturday. In a couple weeks we'll put in green beans, carrots, squash, lettuce, and some corn. We are attempting to cut down on weeding time by laying cardboard. This is the first time we have tried this. If it works out well, we'll do it again next year.

I have plans for a Memorial flower bed, as I mentioned before. Now we have the job of weeding the walkway at the church too. What happened was last night the deacon and wife and I were talking about what we could do with the flower beds and such. I mentioned that mulching would give it a nice finished touch. Well, this morning he called me from the parking lot at church at 8:15 am to say "you're mulch is all delivered." Which I took to mean that we were responsible for weeding the walkway and spreading the mulch. Okayyyy, not really what I was looking to do besides everything else we have to do, but that's okay. I'll say this for him, he jumps right on an idea and goes at it.

I hope we have lots of sunny weather this spring!

No comments: