No, I'm not referring to the Olympics! Still a few more days before those begin!
I am talking about a major declutter/packing spree leading up to our moving day. Yup, that's right folks, I actually have a solid date... well, at least semi-solid. Kind of more like "Jello" solid.
We were called back for a second visit at the PA church, last weekend. It went very well, and it was even a gorgeous weekend, and not near so oppressively hot as it was a few weeks ago. After the Q and A in the afternoon, the pulpit committee met and voted to recommend Dale to the members as Pastor. According to their constitution, they have to announce the formal vote two services ahead. The head of the pulpit committee told us that they would announce it Wednesday night, Sunday morning, and set the vote for Sunday night. So, in less than a week Dale may be offered a new pastorate! We appreciate your continued prayers for wisdom and guidance.
Meanwhile, the members here have voted in a new pastor. He is a young man, with a wife, little girl, and a baby on the way. They are moving from Ohio. So, yesterday afternoon Dale a call from "Pastor John" as everyone is already calling him (he has a French last name that no one can seem to remember well enough to pronounce correctly) and had a chat about the logistics of all this transitioning for them and us. Dale said he was very pleasant to speak with, and he hopes that all will go well for him here.
Anyway, we will be moving over the days of August 6th and 7th at the latest, if not sooner. Pastor John asked if Dale would continue filling the pulpit, while he can. He wasn't looking for a commitment, so if we want to leave before the projected moving day, then we need not feel like we can't go. Dale agreed, and assured me that if we are ready to go before then, we have no responsibility here to fill the pulpit until August 5th, which is the Sunday before our projected moving day.
It is a little strange being in the church still, Dale preaching, but not the pastor anymore. It seems awkward to me, but Dale is taking it all in stride.
Lately we have been having a rash of break downs here. The Tracker (Dale's little car) is gone. It didn't pass inspection, and the work it would have taken to get it to pass was much more than the car was worth. So, we are now a one vehicle family again, and we've decided to not even bother with another car until after we move.
Then our main computer started acting up. I think we jostled something the wrong way while moving it to a temporary desk. The desk it was on was a pickle to put together, and I figured it would take a while to break it down again. It did. I'm glad that one is done! Anyway, while moving the computer around something got wiggled wrong and for several days we couldn't even get it to turn on! Dale went through all the connections last night, and got it to turn on, but it shuts down on its own whenever it feels like it. Well, if we can't get it to work, we are taking out the motherboard, wrapping it up good, and tossing the rest of the computer out. We'll deal with a new one after we move. At least we can salvage the info on the hard drive!
Then, last night, after a very hot and very humid day, the AC in the basement started to make some strange noises. We had to shut that down. Dale hasn't had a chance to look at it yet. It sounded like something in the fan. It could be some crud got in there, or the bearings could be going.... who knows?
Maybe with all this stuff breaking down is God's way of helping me declutter!
So, we are in a feverish packing mode now. Not sure how the timing is going to work out. IF we are voted in at the church in PA, and we end up moving down there, we aren't sure when the parsonage will be ready. If we have to, though, we'll just use those PODS, and maybe go on vacation while waiting, if they can't house us for a couple of weeks. If they say, "come as soon as you can" then Dale said he may start making a trip or two ahead just to get the moving started. We'll have to wait and see.
So, we are sort of in 'limbo' still, but only less than a week of that. Then we'll know what we are doing. Either way, we are leaving here on, or by, August 6th-7th.
"T" minus 13 days, and counting.