Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Clouds, Sprinkle, Sunshine... Take Yer Pick!







Yesterday was a VERY rainy day here in Maine. We went to the Children's Museum in Dover, N.H. The younger kids seemed to have a really good time! The older ones... not so much, I'm afraid. But, considering they get to enjoy some serious boogie-boarding that the littles can't do, I wasn't too worried. Most of the activities were geared towards 10 and under. And it was wicked crowded, which made getting involved harder. However, we managed to spend a few hours there, despite the fact, that after about 30 minutes, the older 4 and Grandpa bugged out to the van to eat lunch. At least they were nice enough to leave us some! I would definitely go again, but during school hours so it wouldn't be so crowded.

Today was clouded with intermittened light sprinkles and then some sunshine. Then some clouds. Then some light sprinkles.

You get the idea.

We went to Short Sands, where there is a playground for the kids, and much easier parking. Have you ever tried parallel parking a 15 passenger van? Thankfully, I haven't had to do that thanks to Grandpa's Shuttle Service.

We went down with the intention of flying kites, and playing on the playground. However, the tide was coming in, and after a quick discussion, the older ones walked back to the house with Grandpa and returned with swimsuits and lunch. I hand't even thought about a picnic... just figured a quick dip and then we would be on our way back to the house. Grandma is much nicer, and more organized than I am! So, we ended up staying at the beach and playground for a long time. Grandma and Grandpa went back to the house, and I took the kids for some window shopping.















When we got back to the house, and cleaned up, I was asked by some of the kids what was for supper.

"Ice Cream," I told them.

They didn't believe me until we all piled into the van, and made the short trip to Brown's Ice Cream.





This little ice cream shop has been there FOREVER. I remember thinking when I was a kid that it was the BEST ice cream on the face of the earth. So, since it was around dinner time, and I noticed the place wasn't very busy when we drove home from Short Sands, we decided it was a good time to visit. We had great ice cream, and I can now cross that off my "bucket list" for this vacation. Unfortunately, Brown's is going out of business soon. They are retiring. Boo! How dare they?

Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be in the 80's and sunny. I don't have to tell you what we'll be up to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
I just had to say that I grew up in Dover, NH and was there visiting my parents the same day you were at the museum. Too bad we couldn't have met. Would have been great to meet another homeschool family. We don't know many around where we live. We are in North Berwick, ME, now, not too far form York Beach! Maybe for your next visit.

Blessings,
Kathy